Thursday 17 July 2014

Lazy me

Hey crafters,

I  hope you're all fine.

I've been such a lazy blogger lately, and, probably even worse: A lazy crafter too. Somehow there was once again just to much life in my life, it drained my crafty mojo.

It's been a busy time since easter, and sad too. My poor old cat Smokey died from cancer just after the easter holidays, which was very hard on all of us. For my girls it was the first pet they ever lost, we all miss her a lot.

I actually hadn't planned to get a new cat right away, I felt like that would be the wrong message to the kids. You can't replace one living being with another.
But it turned out that our surviving cat Phoebe seemed to be quite lonely. She and Smokey were never very close, but after Smokey's death Phoebe became very attached. So in the end, we went looking for another cat to keep her company.

So Nala moved in, she is a tricolor, about a year old and she conquered our hearts in a flash. She is very playful and keeps chasing things all day, no matter what it is. Cat's toys, kid's toys, hair ties, fingers, pens, flies, anything. But she's also very cuddly and likes humans, cats and dogs alike.

I guess I'll post a picture of our cats these days and introduce them a little more.

So, the cats kept us quite busy for a while, with vet appointments, looking for Nala and introducing her to Phoebe (which worked surprisingly well). Then my daughter's birthday came up, with a big party and many guests. As I had predicted, I was glad I had prepared so much in early spring already. And now summer is upon us, with holidays staring on the 28th. We're so looking forward to them.

 Well, enough family news.I wanted to get back with some crafting and felt that I needed something to get me back going. And I remembered that my friend's daughter would start school after the holidays, so I really needed a card for that.

I already had created one for the girl, because she was actually meant to start school last year, but at the last moment it was decided, that she'd wait another year, so I used that card for another girl. Which meant that I had an idea of what I wanted to do, I thought that would be a great start.
It wasn't, it was an epic fail. I had planned on a chalkboard effect, with white stamping and embossing, but my embossing power completely failed to stick to the ink, my white ink was stamping splotchy with the alphabet set I wanted to use and in the end I dumped it all and ordered a new Versamark inkpad, new Ranger superfine white embossing powder and a few other things out of frustration. That done, I created an entirely different card, not even suitable for a school starter, but at least something.

I took the idea from Lindsay and created a pretty similar card, with melted crayons (butterfly) and water color (background). But I think I'll have to work on that technique, I am not entirely happy with my result, even though in real life the butterfly looks better because it's not so neon:




By the way, the sentiment was added after I received my order with the new supplies.

 Now I'm off to pick up my kids from school, hope you have a lovely day.

Ela


No comments:

Post a Comment